Planning ahead is the best way to reduce stress on the day of surgery. We want to minimize any anxiety you may feel and support you throughout your surgical experience.
To assist your health care team, we ask that you:
- Designate one individual as your contact person with whom your health care team may communicate both during and after your surgery.
- You and your contact person will be given a privacy code number. Anyone inquiring about you or your condition will need to provide hospital staff with the privacy code before information may be shared. This is to ensure your confidentiality and respect your privacy.
- Limit the number of family and friends waiting at the hospital on the day of surgery so that your health care team may focus on caring for you. Only your contact person may wait with you in the pre-operative areas. No visitors are allowed in the Operating Room.
- Plan your transportation and home care if you expect to go home the day of your surgery. For your safety a responsible adult must accompany you when you leave the hospital after receiving sedatives and/or general anesthesia. You will not be permitted to drive for a minimum of 24 hours after surgery. If you receive general anesthesia a responsible adult must stay with you at home for 24 hours after surgery. A responsible adult is not required to accompany you home if you only receive local anesthesia.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing on the day of surgery. If you stay overnight your contact person will be asked to keep your belongings. If you go home the day of surgery your belongings will be stored in a small locker.
- Bring only necessities such as glasses/contacts and case, hearing aid(s) and case, dentures and case, picture ID, insurance card(s), court documents and Advanced Directives as applicable, list of medications, and necessary or prescribed medical/health equipment. If you are staying overnight pack a bathrobe, slippers, and toiletries. All other belongings or valuables should be left at home.
Other items to consider as you plan for surgery are:
- Adhering to the scheduled surgery time for each patient is very important to us; however, due to the complex nature of surgery there are delays on occasion. We will keep you and your family informed at all times. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding if you experience any delays.
- Private Room requests may be made to your pre-surgical nurse. We cannot guarantee a private room, but will do our best to accommodate your request.
- Please inform us if language assistance is required for you or your contact person before, during or after surgery. Interpreters are provided free of charge. Contact International Services at 202-444-1588 to make arrangements prior to the day of surgery.
- American Sign Language interpreters are provided as a complimentary service for our non-hearing patients and/or families. Contact the Patient and Physician Advocacy Department at 202-444-3040. Requests for interpreters should be arranged before the day of surgery.
- Parking costs $3.00/hour to a maximum of $7.00/day with a validated parking ticket.
- Patients arriving for surgery or Pre-Surgical Testing will need to register and obtain a patient identification wrist band from Patient Access on the 1st Floor of the Main Building.