If you have been diagnosed with a gynecologic cancer, a cancer of the reproductive tract, you have many questions. At MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, we are here to guide you through your cancer experience. We will help you along every step of the way, from diagnosis to treatment to recovery.
Cancer Treatment: The MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Approach
Studies show gynecologic cancer patients have the best outcomes when a gynecologic oncologist, a doctor who specializes in treating gynecologic cancers treats them. At MedStar Georgetown, our staff includes fellowship-trained gynecologic oncologists. Our physicians have years of experience treating and managing women with gynecologic cancers, giving them a unique insight into effectively treating the disease.
Multidisciplinary Care for Gynecologic Cancers
At MedStar Georgetown, your health care team will be made up of doctors from many different specialties—gynecologic oncologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, oncology nurses and other support staff. But don’t let the size of your team overwhelm you. All the team members collaborate frequently and are on the same page regarding your care.
Our doctors evaluate, diagnose and treat patients at the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center. Cancers we treat include:
If you need a breast cancer specialist, please visit our Clinical Breast Cancer Program at MedStar Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Learn more about The Division of Gynecologic Oncology.
Gynecologic Cancer Symptoms
Symptoms of gynecologic cancer can resemble symptoms of other, less serious conditions. It is important to see a gynecologist with expertise in this area so you can be properly diagnosed and treated.
If you experience any of these symptoms for more than two weeks, call your doctor:
- Unusual bleeding, including bleeding between periods, abnormally heavy periods or bleeding after sexual intercourse
- Pelvic pain, persistent pain below your naval (not menstrual cramps)
- Bowel or urine irregularities, including constipation, diarrhea, nausea, excessive gas or burning when you urinate
- Abdominal swelling
- Lumps or sores on your vagina or vulva
- Lower back pain, a less common symptom that may appear in women with ovarian or uterine cancer
Gynecologic Oncology Services at MedStar Georgetown
Our gynecologic oncology services include:
- Precancerous conditions. We provide care for patients with premalignant or cancerous conditions of the cervix, vagina and vulva.
- Evaluation of abnormalities. Sometimes, during a routine gynecologic exam, your doctor finds an abnormality. We work quickly and carefully to diagnose the problem and create an appropriate treatment plan, including complex pelvic surgery and outpatient chemotherapy.
- Cancer care. We provide the full spectrum of care for patients with cancer of the ovary, uterus, cervix, vagina, vulva, as well as for patients with molar pregnancies/chorio-carcinoma.
- Dysplasia. Our physicians have expertise in performing colposcopy treatment of dysplasia of the cervix, vagina and vulva.