Our physicians provide care for patients whose kidneys have failed and require long-term therapy with dialysis or who have hypertension.
We offer the following programs and services:
- Inpatient Services
- Nephrology and Hypertension Clinic
- Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
There is an inpatient consultation service for patients with renal disease (kidney disease) or hypertension (high blood pressure). Renal biopsies are performed when required and are interpreted by pathologists at MedStar Georgetown. The inpatient service is supported by an inpatient hemodialysis program that offers conventional hemodialysis and slow dialysis forms such as a continuous arteriovenous filtration/dialysis.
We have four specialty clinics:
- Secondary and drug resistant hypertension. This clinic is appropriate for patients who have difficult to treat high blood pressure or associated conditions such as kidney disease. In this clinic, we see patients who have a specific cause for hypertension that requires diagnosis and management. It has facilities for undertaking ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (please phone for an appointment).
- Hypertension and kidney disease in pregnancy. This clinic specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of kidney disease and high blood pressure in women during pregnancy.
- Chronic kidney disease. This clinic provides information, education, and preparation for patients with kidney disease who may need treatment with dialysis or transplantation.
- Renal transplant clinic. This is a clinic where we follow patients who are more than three months out from their kidney transplant and their immunosuppressive therapy and other treatments coordinated.
This is an active program in continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis that includes evaluation and training of patients for CAPD as a form of renal replacement therapy. Phone: 202-842-3127
A large program exists for providing maintenance hemodialysis on an outpatient basis. The physicians of the division staff the outpatient hemodialysis units. We see patients in hemodialysis units in Georgetown (202-333-5211) and Union Plaza (202-842-3127).
We now have an active home hemodialysis program at the Georgetown unit (202-333-5211). This program allows you to dialyze in the comfort of your home and on your own schedule. The flexibility of dialyzing at home makes this program very attractive to most patients. Patients are trained by medical professionals at the dialysis center initially, which can take up to 8 weeks depending on the type of dialysis chosen.